PostgreSQL 8.3 has been out for a while and has all sorts of nifty improvements... and I've finally gotten around to upgrading RubyForge to use it, huzzah! I did the upgrade last night and all seems well so far, but if anyone notices anything awry please let me know.
Also, if there are any PostgreSQL gurus reading this, if you have a moment please take a look at the RubyForge postgresql.conf and let me know if you see anything crazy there. The RubyForge server has around 8 GB of RAM and I figure that 3 GB or so can be safely dedicated to PostgreSQL. I've made a couple changes - bumping up
maintenance_work_mem and whatnot - but tuning suggestions would be welcome.
When I did this upgrade I did the usual major version dump/load... this took quite a while since the DB has around 70M records in it. Maybe next time I can do the upgrade with Slony; that would reduce the downtime window. On the other hand, it still only took 10 minutes to dump and 30 minutes to load, so, meh.